THE patients who remained at Palma's former general hospital of Son Dureta were finally transferred to the new medical centre at Son Espases on Wednesday, Director Luis Carretero said yesterday.
The last to be ferried to their new specialist units were 58 mothers and infants. Over three days of ambulance fleet operations, 223 patients have been moved, confirmed Carretero.
Regional Health Minister Vicenç Thomas joined Carretero yesterday in assessing the mammoth move which he acknowledged had provided some complications. Thomas said however, that there had been no incidents of note. The Minister furthered that the reason that the transfers had gone so smoothly was thanks to the planning work that had been done well in advance and to the dedication of hospital workers and medical staff.
Carretero said that the new hospital of Son Espases is now fully operational with a full complement of operating theatres, intensive care and resuscitation units. The Director said that the work ahead now consisted of showing that Son Espases hospital can live up to its reputation as one of the most advanced in Europe installed with state-of-the-art technology. The hospital will nevertheless need a little time to find its feet, Carretero said until it is working like a well-oiled machine.