The vehicle checks carried out in Palma this week. | Local Police


Palma Local Police have joined forces with the State Tax Administration Agency (AEAT) in the control of foreign vehicles.

Palma City Council has announced that, as part of the usual collaboration with the Tax Agency, Local Police officers participated last Wednesday afternoon, at the request of the chief inspector of Customs, in a documentation control of foreign vehicles in Son Rapinya.

An officer in command of six agents from the Motorised Unit (UMOT) collaborated with a team of AEAT inspectors in the operation, in which 15 vehicles with foreign number plates were inspected.
The customs officials issued an official report on three vehicles, which must pay the special tax on certain means of transport.

In addition to logistical support, local police officers issued two complaints for driving licence irregularities and a third for carrying a minor in the front seat.

The monitoring and control of this type of vehicle is another preventive function carried out by the Road Safety Police Station.
A specialised technical structure is being set up to deal with this issue.

Related news

As a general rule, a non-resident can drive a foreign registered vehicle in Spain for up to six months in a calendar year.

However for a Spanish resident, it’s just 30 days from the date the vehicle first entered the country. In all cases the vehicle needs to be fully legal in the country of current registration. So for example, if you have a UK vehicle then it must be taxed, have a current MOT and of course be insured.

If you drive your vehicle for longer than this, Spanish authorities may consider that you are importing the vehicle and issue you with a notice to pay the import taxes and customs duties if applicable as well as an associated fine.

When driving in Spain, it is mandatory to carry a driving licence, original vehicle registration document (logbook), passport or ID card and for a foreign registered vehicle proof of insurance. If your driving licence is non EU then you may also need an International Driving Permit (IDP).

It’s also essential when driving a foreign vehicle that you have adequate proof of when your vehicle entered Spain, in case you’re stopped as the onus will be on you to provide this.

Normal proof could be a ferry ticket, eurotunnel receipt, border crossing documentation (such as a stamped date in your passport), toll receipts that show the date and time of entry or a transport company delivery note and invoice.