A view of an empty Pamplona's bullring
Authorities cancelled the fiesta for the second year in a row.
The last time it did not celebrate the festival two years in a row was during the 1936-39 Spanish Civil War.
The festival, which normally takes place every year in July, gained international fame from Ernest Hemingway's 1926 novel "The Sun Also Rises".
San fermin party in Spain.
Police will set up 14 checkpoints around the Old Town's narrow streets.
start of the San Fermín 2011 fiestas
- Spain fights to end 90 day rule and also "ban" on British seasonal workers
- Yet more red tape! Spain now issues official invitations to make your visit easier
- Ryanair emergency landing in Palma
- Take note Spain! Surge in interest in French properties after 90 day rule is relaxed for Britons
- Jumbo jet makes emergency landing in Palma