Just over 50% of the population of the Balearics - 53.8% - was born on any of the islands. The demographic change through immigration has been ongoing for fifty years or more, the first big wave having been in the 1970s - employment in the tourism industry for people from other regions of Spain was a powerful factor. The second big wave was in the first years of the millennium before the financial crisis.
Just over half the Balearic population was born on the islands
The percentage has been dropping progressively
Also in News
- Palma's Via de Cintura cut off to save the lives of a group of disoriented dogs
- 'She-devil' leader of Mallorca gang ordered to prison
- The ham war of Palma's Olivar Market to go to court
- Which supermarkets are open on December 6 and 8?
- Leader of a gang who stole from trucks in Germany arrested in Mallorca