The Guardia Civil and National Police act on complaints of holiday rental fraud.
A case before the courts in Palma is pending trial.
The accused was an intermediary in the scam; the case dates back to 2013.
Mallorca was a main centre for the fraud.
Some 300 instances of this fraud form part of the investigation.
Susan Barton put down a deposit of 1,300 pounds for a villa near Alicante with Spain Dream Villas.
The police were well aware of the story because of the extensive coverage it has received.
The website which was responsible for the holiday rental fraud is based in Palma.
- Britons could be denied entry to the Balearics next year
- Palma delays because of air-traffic control and Ryanair strikes
- British residents taking drastic action over driving licences
- First day of Ryanair strike could affect 73,200 passengers on Friday
- Mallorca Live: Making some changes after first day problems