The Guardia Civil and National Police act on complaints of holiday rental fraud.
A case before the courts in Palma is pending trial.
The accused was an intermediary in the scam; the case dates back to 2013.
Mallorca was a main centre for the fraud.
Some 300 instances of this fraud form part of the investigation.
Susan Barton put down a deposit of 1,300 pounds for a villa near Alicante with Spain Dream Villas.
The police were well aware of the story because of the extensive coverage it has received.
The website which was responsible for the holiday rental fraud is based in Palma.
- Spain fights to end 90 day rule and also "ban" on British seasonal workers
- Yet more red tape! Spain now issues official invitations to make your visit easier
- Ryanair emergency landing in Palma
- Take note Spain! Surge in interest in French properties after 90 day rule is relaxed for Britons
- Jumbo jet makes emergency landing in Palma