In October, it was estimated that up to 1,500 premises could be "susceptible" to conversion.
Town hall planning departments aren't exactly renowned for moving rapidly.
The response of the real-estate sector is generally positive, but it doesn't anticipate an "avalanche" of projects.
But how many affordable homes will be created and how long will they take?
It's reckoned that the new government's scheme could create 3,000 homes. Will it?
- Spain fights to end 90 day rule and also "ban" on British seasonal workers
- Yet more red tape! Spain now issues official invitations to make your visit easier
- Ryanair emergency landing in Palma
- Take note Spain! Surge in interest in French properties after 90 day rule is relaxed for Britons
- Jumbo jet makes emergency landing in Palma