Staff to go in Palma. Ryanair and IAG both express competition concerns about Lufthansa acquisition.
The former owner of Real Mallorca is said to have been talking to international investors.
Autumn half-terms in German states mean tourists coming to Majorca throughout October.
The situation with Air Berlin "isn't great news, but the current economic situation will enable other operators to enter the market".
This latest development follows the closure of the Air Berlin hub in Palma and the axing of routes to the mainland.
The airports authority Aena calculates that the 600,000 passengers who had been passing through the Air Berlin hub represent 1.2% of total passenger numbers at Son Sant Joan.
Air Europa and Vueling are both looking initially to take over the more profitable routes - notably those to Seville and Bilbao.
“You give the impression that the loss of Air Berlin’s hub will be a disaster, when it will affect only eight routes."
- Britons could be denied entry to the Balearics next year
- British residents taking drastic action over driving licences
- First day of Ryanair strike could affect 73,200 passengers on Friday
- Mallorca Live: Making some changes after first day problems
- Palma delays because of air-traffic control and Ryanair strikes