A blow to Spain's Supreme Court.
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said Puigdemont must submit to justice.
Puigdemont was living in self-imposed exile in Belgium.
Former member of the Catalan government and MEP Carles Puigdemont reacts before an interview as he faces an EU parliamentary vote on a waiver of his immunity in Brussels.
All are subject to European arrest warrants issued by Spain which is seeking their extradition.
Spain's Supreme Court filed its third extradition request days after convicting nine other Catalan leaders of sedition over the independence bid.
Germany previously refused to extradite former Catalan leader Carles Puigdemont.
A Spanish prosecutor yesterday asked a judge to issue an international arrest warrant for Carles Puigdemont.
The state prosecution service is filing lawsuits against Puigdemont with the two highest courts in Spain.
- British residents unable to drive in Spain from Friday, licence exchange process still flawed
- One of the world’s largest super yachts went "missing" after leaving Mallorca
- Taylor Swift jets in for Mallorca wedding
- Get the Mallorca Beach App!
- Eyewitness account when two planes collided on the tarmac at Palma airport in Mallorca